Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Small Words

Tonight I was finishing up a few last things in the kitchen, the kids all tucked into bed and hopefully on their way to sleep, when in comes my 12 year old needing some allergy medicine. Okay, I get him the medicine. As he takes it "I'm nervous about school next year". Wow!!!! Small words, but words that were a giant step in his life. This is my child that will never admit to not being in control of everything, will never admit he is wrong, will never admit he doesn't know something. His behavior has been through the roof the last two weeks, and I've been racking my brain to figure out what is behind it. Now I know. Middle School!!! He has been in the same school for the past 3 years, and is nervous about a new school. A small thing for most kids, a big thing for my kids. It's amazing what small steps are really a big thing in their lives, and how small words like "I'm nervous", or "I'm sorry" are a giant step in their development. We're progressing one word at a time.

1 comment:

tif-do said...

That's quite a hurdle for him! That little stuff is really the big stuff